Phlebotomy for Nursing Personnel Class Overview:
Independent Study Program Offered Online and On DVD ROM
A thorough, detailed five and a half hour class designed for nursing and other healthcare professionals that need phlebotomy skills but DO NOT require national certification to perform phlebotomy procedures as part of their job.
Anatomy and Physiology
- Devices & methods used for venipuncture & capillary sample collections
- OSHA regulations
- Personal Protective Equipment
- National standards of the Clinical Laboratory & Standards Institute (CLSI)
- Preparation of supplies and equipment
- Site selection and preparation
- Venipuncture techniques
- Capillary puncture techniques
- Tips for success for use with patients with poor veins
- Common blood tests and Order of Draw
- Sample handling and prevention of test result errors
- Patient identification
- Complications of phlebotomy procedures, prevention and treatment
- Legal Issues
- Evaluation, & certificate of completion
Details: The program is instructor led by instructor Alice Cennamo, RN, CRNI, CPI, VABC- a certified phlebotomy instructor certified by the National Phlebotomy Association (NPA), infusion/ IV therapy specialist certified by the Infusion Nurses Certification Corporation, and vascular access specialist board certified by the Vascular Access Certification Corporation. Our phlebotomy programs are continuing education programs designed for nurses, nursing personnel and other health care professionals that are allowed by state regulations to draw blood samples as part of their work duties and professional practice. Some examples of attendees are: RNs, LPNs, PAs, MAs, MTs, CNAs and other technicians. If you have questions about the course requirements, feel free to contact us.
Nurses, nursing personnel and other health care professionals that are allowed to draw blood samples per state regulations as part of their job.
The learner will increase his/her knowledge of phlebotomy venipuncture, capillary puncture techniques, common blood tests, and sample handling.
Activity Goals and Objectives-
Upon successful completion of this activity the attendee will be able to:
1: Describe the effects of venipuncture on the vein wall.
2: Describe veins appropriate for phlebotomy procedures.
3: List two devices used for collection of blood samples
4: State the rationale for drawing into tubes in the
5: Describe methods to prevent test result errors.
6: Describe three potential complications of a phlebotomy procedure.
7: Describe how to choose a viable vein for venipuncture.
8: List two steps in obtaining a blood sample utilizing the vacutainer or syringe method
9: List two steps of the Skin Puncture technique for capillary blood sampling
10: Score 75% or better on Phlebotomy test
ACCREDITATION STATEMENT AND CONTACT HOURS:
(Phlebotomy for Nursing Personnel 1 online class, webinar, and DVD ROM):
5.5 Contact Hours are earned. Contact hours are can be offered until August 31, 2012. There is no commercial support or conflict of interest for this activity:
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the New York State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Applied for 5.5 Contact Hours effective from 09/01/2012 to offer until 09/01/2014:
This continuing nursing education activity has been submitted to ANA-Maine for approval to award contact hours. ANA-Maine is an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Our online phlebotomy program is given in a 2 session webinar followed by a post test. $99.00.
Take our program with you! Our DVD ROM 2 disk package of the online class is available for purchase and includes contact hours (continuing nursing education credits or CNEs) granted to one person by completing the program requirements; with add on CNE packages available for groups. Introductory sale price DVD ROM: $249.00.
Need Hands On Practice?
If you are in Connecticut or nearby, consider also taking our In-Person Phlebotomy Workshop Lab Class: These classes meet 3 hours once a week for 4 weeks total in Stratford, CT. For details, click here.$225.00
Add on our CNE Program1 to your DVD ROM purchase for your staff of up to 10 people- for an additional $349.00.
More than 10 people need training?
Add our CNE Program 2 at just $30.00 more per person.
Registration and payment can be completed online: http://cart-catalog.piccresource.com or by calling us at our main number: (888) 459-4913 and PRESS OPTION 2 for our Registration/Orders Department. This line is for registrations, orders, and consult requests ONLY. The department is open 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.
HAVE QUESTIONS?: Call us: (888) 459-4913 and PRESS OPTION 3 to reach us on call at any time, or during our regular office hours press zero to reach our receptionists (Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time). Or click here to contact us via email.
Frequently Asked Questions Phlebotomy for Nursing Personnel Course:
- How does the online class compare to taking an in-person course?
- After the class, what is next?
- What is clinical precepting/ clinical supervision and how do I arrange this after a class?
- How many supervised phlebotomy procedures are required before I can do the procedures on my own?
- Is this a phlebotomy certification program, and how do I become phlebotomy certified?
- Can I extend the 6 week online class enrollment period?
Click here to access more FAQs and answers on our Frequently Asked Questions Pages
- Online Classes and DVD ROM Programs: Our online courses contain essentially the same classroom instruction as our in-person classes minus the hands on lab practicum portion of the class. The online course additionally includes interactive tools such as games and, videos to further enhance the learning experience. The hands on simulation lab component of the in-person class can be performed after an online class by performing simulated procedures with your clinical preceptor. This is done prior to performing your initial live phlebotomy procedures on patients under the supervision of your clinical preceptor. Click here for a flyer.
In-person classes: We can schedule in-person phlebotomy programs for health care facilities and other groups. A class may be held at our class site or onsite by contract. Click here to fill in our consult form to request more information.
- After the class, what is next? As soon as possible, arrange to be clinically precepted in phlebotomy while the course information is still fresh in your mind. If you need hands on skills; consider also taking our In-Person Phlebotom Workshop Lab Class: These classes meet 3 hours once a week for 4 weeks total in Stratford, CT. For details, click here.
- Clinical precepting/ supervision: Clinical precepting/ or clinical supervision follows classroom didactic training and requires that a clinician act as a clinical preceptor or mentor in the procedure to another clinician. A preceptor should be experienced, independent, and competent in the procedure. Ideally the same preceptor would supervise the novice clinician in the procedure until the novice is deemed competent in performance of the procedure. The preceptor's role is to evaluate the novice's performance in the procedure and intervene if possible with suggestions to improve performance, and to complete a procedure if needed. Precepting is done in-person with the novice during the performance of phlebotomy on live patients. This type of supervision is a requirement for patient safety and to verify clinician competence prior to independently performing phlebotomy procedures.
- Number of supervised phlebotomy procedures required: The details of precepting including the number of supervised phlebotomy procedures and other requirements will be dictated by your employing organzation's policies and procedures. In general organizational requirements will include successful completion of an acceptable phlebotomy education program, review of organizational policies and procedures, and a designated number of supervised clinical procedures with a favorable competency evaluation. PICC Resource Associates, LLC provides sample tools that can be used as is or modified by employers for hands on simulation, or live supervised procedures on patients. We also offer an added option to organizations to contract with us for clinical precepting if needed.
- Is our Phlebotomy for Nursing Personnel program a phlebotomy certification program, and how do I get certified? No the Phlebotomy for Nursing Personnel programs can be completed within 5+ hours, or in as little as one day. If you wish to obtain a national phlebotomy certification, apply for our Phlebotomy Certification Class. The Phlebotomy Certification Class is a full phlebotomy program approved by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), and PICC Resource Associates, LLC is approved by the NHA to administer the NHA National Certification Exam for this Phlebotomy Certification Program. Click here for more details on our Phlebotomy Certification Class.
- Can I extend the 6 week online class enrollment period? Yes- as of October 1st, 2011, we have doubled the enrollment period for our short term online class programs to a full 6 weeks (42 days) for all existing and new program registrants with no increase in fees for the programs (still $99.00). This applies to the Phlebotomy for Nursing Personnel-1, class and 2 other short term online classes. The Phlebotomy for Nursing Personnel-1 class is less than 6 hours in length, and on average takes a week or less to complete. However, we understand that busy schedules sometimes interrupt plans to finish a class. To accomodate this need in addtition to doubling enrollment periods for these classes, we have added a one time automatic enrollment extension with a choice of one of three levels of time for the extension period. This avoids payment of a full registration fee to to re-enroll in the class. We offer extensions of: 1 week for $25.00, 2 weeks for $40.00, or 4 weeks for $75.00.
Notice: It is the responsibility of the program attendee to ensure that the course subject matter is within an attendee's clinical scope of practice prior to signing up for the program. Completion of the Phlebotomy Certification Class or the In-Person Phlebotomy Lab Class does not guarantee that a program participant will pass the NHA Phlebotomy Technician Certification Exam. Program participants are solely responsible for their NHA Phlebotomy Technician National Certification Exam test results and studying the phlebotomy program material provided in preparation to sit for the NHA national certification exam. NHA test and/or retest rules and fees apply. NHA test fees are separate and payable to NHA.
Refund, Exchanges, Returns, and Cancellation Policies: (Revised Effective May 14th 2012):
Scheduled In-Person Classes - No refund will be issued for cancellation of an in-person class fees when the cancellation request is received within 2 weeks (14 days) or less prior to the scheduled class date. Refunds can be given for scheduled in-person class dates cancelled by customers if the cancellation request has been verified by PICC Resource Associates, LLC as received in writing via email or fax by 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time according to the following schedule:
A full refund of the in-person class fee can be issued for cancellations received within 4 weeks (28 days) or more prior to the in-person class date of the accepted registration.
A 75% refund of the in-person class fee can be issued for cancellations received within 21 to 27 days prior to the in-person class date of the accepted registration.
A 50% refund of the in-person class fee can be issued for cancellations received within 15 days to 20 days prior to the in-person class date or dates of the accepted registration.
No refund will be issued for cancellations received within 2 weeks or less (1 to 14 days) prior to the in-person class date of the accepted registration.
In-Person Classes Exception: An in-person scheduled class may be cancelled by PICC Resource Associates, LLC when unable to sufficiently fill class attendance. If this occurs registrants for the cancelled class will be notified within 3 to 4 weeks prior to the class start date and will be offered a choice of either attendance to the rescheduled class date or a full refund of the class registration fee.
Exceptions: If PICC Resource Associates, LLC rejects or denies an application for the Phlebotomy Certification Program; a refund will be issued to the applicant for this program in the amount of total fee paid minus a $50.00 fee charged for application processing.
Online Classes and Programs, and Digital Media - No refunds or exchanges will be given once a program application or registration has been accepted by PICC Resource Associates, LLC or the product has been used, shipped, or delivered for use such as (but not limited to) printed textbooks, and digital products such as online, or DVD ROM programs.
Physical Products: Physical products to be shipped (example: DVD ROMs); if a cancellation is made in less than 24 hours of an order and the product has not yet shipped- an order can be cancelled for a full refund if we are notified within normal business hours.
Enrollment Extensions: The enrollment period for our short term online class programs is 6 weeks (42 days) for all existing and new program registrants. Automatic extensions may be granted once for an enrollment extension fee to extend an existing short term online class registration. This one time automatic enrollment extension policy only applies to the following online classes: Short IV Insertion-1, Phlebotomy for Nursing Personnel-1, and Central Line Care and Maintenance-1.
Existing registration/ enrollment periods may be extended for 1, 2, or 4 weeks for an enrollment extension fee. The fee for a one week extension is: $25.00, for 2 weeks it is $40.00, and for 4 weeks $75.00. Enrollment extensions are allowed and automatically approved once. Additional requests for enrollment extensions are subject to review and require approval by the online class instructor. A new registration and full payment for the online class program may be required for enrollment extension requests beyond 4 weeks.
Transfers: Effective May 14th 2012 we no longer accept transfers between programs or program dates. See our refund and cancellation policy for refund eligibility for cancelled in-person class registrations.
Damaged Products: Damaged DVD ROMs damaged in shipping can be returned for a new DVD ROM if we are contacted within 2 days of the package arrival date and the DVD ROM is shipped back to us (postage paid by purchaser) within 7 working days. Once we receive the DVD ROM and confirm that it is damaged, we will ship a new DVD ROM to the purchaser with shipping costs paid by us for the replacement DVD ROM.